showing off for God

Have you ever seen the bumper-sticker, or heard the expression that inspired the bumper sticker, "Christians are not perfect, just forgiven"? Do you think that this is a biblical way to approach our Christian faith? Do you think that this is an attitude that inspires others to follow? You can hear my thoughts about this subject in the following 2-minute video.


As you are thinking over the things that I have said in this video, I want to encourage you to meditate upon what Jesus said in Matthew 5:14-16, "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." In this passage, it sure sounds like Jesus wants us to "show off" for God before the world, by letting our lights shine, so that we can give glory to God, rather than say, "oops, don't look at me, I am just a forgiven sinner."

I know this can be harsh to hear, but I am not trying to promote legalism, only a biblical mindset for us. God wants us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (Mt. 6:33), and as we do we are called to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Mt. 5:6), letting our light shine before a dark and hurting world (Mt. 5:14-16), being imitators of God as dear children (Ephesians 5:1). I fear that there are too many within the Body of Christ who have been lured to sleep by the the ways of this world, and are no longer hungering or thirsting for God, nor seeking first above all else in their life His kingdom. 

Let this not be us today Christian! Let us shine as lights for Jesus. Let us seek Him with our entire heart, and pray for Him to fill us with the Spirit, and fill us with a passion for Him that will draw this thirsty and hurting world to our Savior. Let us show off for God, because that is exactly what He wants us to do (Matthew 5:14-16).

Let our bumper-sticker say, "I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

Popular posts from this blog

What is godless chatter?

Knowing Jesus and Making Jesus Known

Sermon Outline: 1 John 3:18-24