Mormonism: Could Jesus Really be Satan's Brother?


Yesterday my family and I were spending time at a park in San Diego, when two mormon missionaries walked by. I ended up getting into a conversation with them. Whenever I am dialoguing with cults, I always keep the focus on Jesus. In my experience, I have found that they will usually take us on endless rabbit trails about everything except for Jesus if we let them. Therefore, I am always very conscious about keeping the subject on the Person of Jesus Christ.

As we were dialoguing together I asked them who they believe Jesus was. They explained to me that we are all spiritual children of God, and that Jesus and Satan are spiritual brothers. After listening to them explain to me their views on Jesus' relationship to Satan, as well as their beliefs about our pre-existence in heaven, I took some time to explain to them how we have two very different views about who Jesus is, and that we both cannot be correct. They agreed.

I asked them if they have read the Bible? They both said, "Yes." I then asked, "Have you read through the entire Bible yet?" They both said that they had read through some of the New Testament, but that the Old Testament is a bit tough to follow. I smiled and said, "No kidding, those genealogies seem like they go on and on with names that are impossible to pronounce!" They laughed. I continued, "Let me ask you; do you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God that we should base our beliefs upon?" They both said "yes, of course." With a warm smile, I then said, "I love reading the bible, and I have been so blessed by reading through it several times in my life so far. God's Word truly feeds my soul." They smiled back. 

I then said to them, "I want to encourage you to read through the Bible, because if you take the time to read through the Bible you will discover that what I am saying about Jesus is true. You will see that it is impossible for Jesus to be Satan's brother because the Bible says that Jesus' is God's Son, and that Satan is an angel. What this tells us about Jesus' relationship to Satan is that there is absolutely no way they could be brothers, because angels are an entirely different type of species. Jesus is God's Son, and the Bible is quite clear that He created angels." (cf. Colossians 1:16; John 1:3).

The Bible tells us that Satan is an angel (Ezekiel 28:14; 2 Corinthians 11:14). And Hebrews 1:4-14 makes it very clear that Jesus is not an angel, and that angels are an entirely different species of creation than that of Jesus (Hebrews 1:4-5). In fact, the Bible tells us that God commands angels to worship His Son (Hebrews 1:6), and to be ruled by His Son (Hebrews 1:7-8), and to minister to those who believe in His Son (Hebrews 1:14). However, Satan rebelled against this plan (Revelation 12:7-9), and instead tried to get all of heaven to worship Him (Isaiah 14:12-13), including the Son of God (Matthew 4:9-10).

After sharing this with them, I politely asked them, "Would you agree that our opposing views about who Jesus is, indicates that one of us has false truths about Jesus mixed into our belief system?" They both agreed. I then said, "So in the end, I don't think either of us is going to care about whether Mormonism is right, or whether what I am saying is right. What we are going to care about is if we got it right regarding who Jesus is. Because getting right with Jesus before we enter into eternity is what matters most, isn't it?" They both nodded in agreement.

I shared with them what's at stake if we get Jesus' identity wrong. I explained to them that Jesus was very clear about the fact that the only way we can have eternal life is by knowing Him. I told them Jesus says, "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent" (John 17:3). I went on to share with them that in order to get to heaven, we must intimately know (Gk. ginosko) Jesus on a very personal level. Knowing some truths about Jesus, mixed with false truths about Jesus is a very dangerous place to be. The reason I say this is because eternal life weighs in the balance of our knowing Jesus. Jesus gives a clear warning to those who "practice" religion in His name without knowing Him, saying, "I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me" (Matthew 7:23).

I finished up our time together by saying, "You both seem like really nice guys, and I pray that you will investigate the things that I have shared with you. What do you have to lose? If what I am telling you is wrong, God will reveal that to you in the Bible. But if what I am telling you is right, God is going to reveal that to you as well." We then shook hands and I thanked them for taking the time to dialogue with me, and that was the end of our conversation. I am now praying that the Holy Spirit will use that conversation to inspire them to begin reading their bible with a sincere desire to know Jesus.


RELATED ARTICLES

Mormonism: Exposing Pre-existence as Non-existence

Popular posts from this blog

What is godless chatter?

Knowing Jesus and Making Jesus Known

John 5:1-15 (Sermon Outline)