need a new plan in life?

   Do you need a new plan in life? Are things broken for you right now, and seem impossible to fix? If so you may be able to relate to a movie that my wife and I watched the other day. The other day my wife Lyndsey and I were having a date-night at home, and one of the things that we love to do together is watch “chick-flicks”. Now I know this is not very manly of me to admit, but it is a way that I can esteem my wife better than myself, and so I do this. And even though in the beginning of our relationship chick-flicks were not on the top of my movie watching lists, due to the fact that I was the kind of guy that liked Rambo, Die Hard, and any other testosterone pumping movies that were made, I have since been converted by my wife. Guys may want to tar and feather me for saying this, but I don’t care because I know that it blesses my wife! And a happy wife leads to a happy life! Amen?
    The movie we were watching on our Date Night was P.S. I Love You! Which is a movie about a young woman named Holly, who is played by Hilary Swank, who loses her husband to a brain tumor, which causes her to completely withdraw from her friends and family, and life itself. But before her husband Jerry dies he writes her 10 letters that he has different people deliver to her over the next several seasons of her life. These letters from Jerry are designed to help heal his widowed wife’s heart, and to also help her begin living life to the fullest. Each of the letters that Jerry writes to Holly ends with a “P.S. I Love You”. Each day Holly would wake up and hope that a new letter would arrive. When the letters would arrive, she would be so filled with excitement and anticipation, and then she would read the letter as fast as she could, holding onto every word that was in it. She would then carry out the orders of the letter no matter how difficult it was for her to do so. 
   There were a lot of great adventures that Jerry sent Holly on, and there ended up being a lot of blessings that came her way because she had the courage to take steps of faith, even when she was facing incredible emotional pain. Through the letters that Jerry sent to Holly, she ended up having her life restored, and she began living a great adventure, did courageous things, reconciled with family, gained new purpose in life, and over time even fell back in love with someone new.
   I see a lot of similarities in this movie to our relationship with God. God has given us His Word to take away the pain and sorrow that fills our hearts. Through our faith in Jesus, God also restores us into whole people, and gives us a new and greater purpose to live for. In essence, the moment we open up God's love letter to us, which is His Word, He us sends on a great adventure with Him that lasts the rest of our earthly life. Just as each of Jerry's letters to Holly ended with P.S. I love, and at the same time Revealed the plan that Jerry had for Holly, so too is every inch of scripture inspired by the fact that God’s message to us is “PS I love you!” and “I have a wonderful Plan for your life!” In fact­ the Bible tells us in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
   May today be the day you begin eagerly opening up God's love letter to you, so that you can experience His life-changing love for your life, and begin embarking upon the great adventure that He has for your life. This is how you can truly begin living for eternity today!

Popular posts from this blog

What is godless chatter?

Knowing Jesus and Making Jesus Known

Sermon Outline: 1 John 3:18-24